Oliver Scholars prepares high-achieving Black and Latinx students from underserved New York City communities for success at top independent schools and prestigious colleges. We provide crucial support for our Scholars so they can realize their full potential and ultimately give back to the city, the nation, and the world.
Position and Summary Reporting:
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Development, the intern will work directly with the Development team to research and cultivate supporters, manage the organization’s donor databases, track and evaluate fundraising efforts, and organize events. This is an excellent opportunity for a highly organized and motivated individual to develop skills in nonprofit development work and ultimately learn about education opportunities for high-achieving Black and Latinx students.
▪ Support grant application writing, tracking, and reporting
▪ Update/Complete Oliver’s profile for government (city & state) grants
▪ Update/Complete Oliver’s profiles for compliance organizations (e.g., BBB, Guidestar)
▪ Support gift acknowledgment process
▪ Support event planning logistics including invitation production, attendance tracking, guest management, and follow up
▪ Help organize and maintain Development Google Drive files
▪ Conduct prospect research on individual, foundation, and corporate donors
▪ Support creation and dissemination of Oliver Scholars annual appeal
Time commitment: Minimum of 15 hours per week; minimum 3-month commitment, with 6 months desirable.
There is an opportunity for school credit if allowed by the college/university of the applicant. The position offers an excellent opportunity to work on substantive projects and can result in a great reference.
▪ Current or recent enrollment in a graduate or undergraduate degree program with an interest and aptitude to work in Development/Fundraising, or non-profit management field
▪ Ability to prioritize tasks and handle numerous assignments simultaneously
▪ Strong proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, and Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Drive, and Calendar)
▪ Familiarity with all Social Media platforms
▪ Graphic design experience a plus (Canva, InDesign, Photoshop)
▪ Strong persuasive writing skills a plus
▪ Takes initiative: Act on one’s own initiative; making the most of opportunities; undertaking tasks, even if it entails risk
▪ Creative: Coming up with new ideas, approaches, or solutions
▪ Flexible: Manages to adapt if circumstances change
▪ Written communication: Is capable of communicating well in writing, even with people who communicate differently
▪ Monitors outcomes: Regularly checks whether work is on schedule
▪ Verbal communication: Understands others and being understood in verbal communication
▪ Teamwork: Work well with others and thrive in a team environment
▪ Integrity: Submits finished work-product that meets your own high standards
▪ Commitment to excellence: Strives to do deliver your best work-product
▪ Collaborative learner: Enjoys working with others to learn on the job
How To Apply
Please note, “Development Office Intern – [your last name]” in the subject line of your email.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls, please.